When is the 2021 Vincy Mas?
The 2021 Vincy Mas will take place on Sunday June 27th 2021 – Tuesday 6th July 2021. Vincy Mas always begins in the middle of June and culminates on either a Monday or Tuesday in the beginning of July. Often the first Monday in July but occasionally it is the second Monday.
Where is Vincy Mas?
Vincy Mas takes place in the sovereign state of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines also known as Saint Vincent. It is located in the Lesser Antilles island arc in the southern end of the West Indies in the Caribbean Sea.
What is Vincy Mas?
Vincy Mas is a Caribbean Carnival that takes place on the Island of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines. It is a spectacular carnival celebration that is full of culture, tradition and heritage. It is an explosion of music, colour, costumes, dance and life. Carnival attracts thousands of tourists and the streets of the Island come alive.
What is the history of Vincy mas?
Prior to 1977 Vincy Mas was actually a pre-Lenten carnival. Carnival is derived from the latin words ‘carne vale’ which means the removal of meat. The roots of this festival stem from the Roman Catholic tradition of abstaining from meat, alcohol and other body pleasures for 40 days before Easter. Carnival was the last chance to indulge in these desires before the start of Lent.
Vincy Mas originally was just celebrated by the European settlers and was mainly private parties and private balls that occurred in people’s houses. But throughout the eighteenth century the traditions and customs grew to include African customs from African religions that had been brought to the island from the freed slaves.
How do they celebrate Vincy Mas?
Vincy Mas today has its own unique identity. It is full of parades, parties, music, drinking, dancing, costumes, colour, competitions and fun. The whole Island comes alive with street parties, costumed parades and lots of calypso, soca and steel pan performances all over the island.
The carnival kicks off with J’Ouvert which is a pre-dawn celebration that occurs before sunrise. It is lots of fun and spontaneous and sees groups playing lots of soca, steelpan and throwing mud and paint at each other
Some of the biggest highlights of Vincy Mas are the Miss Saint Vincent Competition, the Soca Monarch Competition, Miss Carnival, Carnival King and Queen competition and the Junior Pan Fest. These are all popular events that draw big crowds.
The highlight of Vincy Mas and the biggest day of partying is the Mardi Gras Parade of the Bands. This is a spectacular event that is full of music, dance, colour and the most incredible costumes. The event is on the last day of the competition.
Mardi Gras Parade of the Bands
The Parade is the highlight of Vincy Mas and every year thousands of Islanders and tourists come out to watch the parade. It is a spectacular sight filled with beautiful costumes, incredible music, energetic dance troupes, steelpan bands and lots of soca music! Every band will select a theme that will inspire their costumes, music and dances.
What is playing Mas?
When it comes to celebrating caribbean you can either just be a spectator or you can join in the parades! When you want to join in it is called playing mas. For those not familiar with Caribbean Carnival, to play mas you have to join a masquerade band.
You cannot just show up in a beautiful home-made costume and join the parade. You must select a mas band that you want to be part of, contact them and purchase their costumes, or t-shirts. Then on the day you meet up with your band and you can dance the day away through the streets.
Mas Bands Vincy Mas 2021
- PB Lynx Mas Band: Theme is ‘Devastation’. Contact Band at 1(784) 495-0004
- SVG Players International Mas Band: Theme is’ Legends of Soca Monarch’. Contact band at 1(784) 528-8463
- Nelson Bloc: Theme is ‘a journey through Africa’. Contact band 1(784) 454-5516 or 1(784) 432-5008 (What’s app. Instagram: @nelson bloc
- Xtreme Fanatics SVG: Theme is ‘Moving on up’. Contact band 1(784) 527-5629
- High Voltage Mas Productions. Theme is ‘Exoctic Beaches’. Contact band 1(784) 593-7117 Facebook: highvoltagemas
- Owen Ralph and the Professionals. Theme is ‘Old People Say’. Contact band 1(784) 593-6940.
- Tribes Mas Band: Theme is ‘Sunrise to Sunset’. Contact band at 1(784) 532-5740 Facebook: Tribes Mas Band
- BMC Agencies Magic 7 Blondie Bird and Friends: Theme is ‘Phobia’. Contact band at 1(784) 497-2450 Instagram – blondiebirdandfriends
- Beautex International. Theme is ‘A Toast to Vincy Mas’. Contact Band 1784 4548398
- Melbourne Artisians: Theme is ‘Dedicated to memories’. Contact Band 1 (784) 496-5700 Facebook: C/O Carnival Bands Association SVG
- Oxygen Mas SVG: Theme is ‘Nebula – The Beauty Above. Contact Band 1(784) 533-1944
- Leeward International. Theme is ‘SAIL AHOY – Tribute to Sheggie John’. Facebook: C/O Carnival Bands Association SVG
- Ahdrenalin Carnival: Theme is ‘Peccatum’. Contact Band 1 (784) 530-4808. Instagram: ahdrenalincarnival
- Imagination Mas Band: Theme is ‘In time to come’. Contact Band 1(784) 455-5346. 1 (784) 494-9032. Instagram: @imaginationmasband
- Mirage Productions: Theme is ‘With Flying Colors’. Facebook: mirage productions. Instagram: @miragesvg
Vincy Mas Tips
Here are some tips to make your carnival experience a little better
- Book ahead of time to get the best deals with accommodation
- Wear comfortable shoes during the parade because you will be on your feet all day
- Wear sunscreen because the sun is incredible strong
- You must participate! Don’t be a spectator contact a mas band ahead of time so that you can be part of the fun
- Improve your fitness before you partake in the parade because endurance is needed
- Stay safe
How to get to Vincy Mas?
There are no international flights from North America or Europe that go directly to St Vincent & the Grenadines, so the best way is to fly to a neighbouring island like Barbados which has a major international hub and then transfer over. There are also lots of inter-island ferry services. There is a boat that operates several times a day between Kingstown.
Where to stay Vincy Mas?
St Vincent is home to some incredible luxurious resorts. Most of these resorts are located on several private islands around the island such as Petit St Vincent, Palm Island and Young Island. The most exclusive hotel is called the Mandarin Oriental, Canouan. Even Kate and William have holidayed there, so you know it’s luxurious.
There are plenty of cheaper and nice accommodations available. If you want to be closer to the carnival, then maybe opt for a more village style accommodations in the capital of Port Elizabeth. There are lots of good beaches, restaurants, and bars around there. It gives you a good chance to partake with local life as well. Check out some accommodations deals here.
Book your Hotel and Flight for the Vincy Mas Carnival
How to get around St Vincent
It is possible to rent a car on St Vincent for around $50US a day. There are also taxis or brightly painted mini-buses that can get you around the island. The best way to get to the other islands is by boat. There is a ferry service that operates several times a day between the other islands. Also, many of the resorts on the more remote islands have a private boat service to transport passengers.
What to do and see in Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines is said to be the last of the ‘real’ Caribbean. This island has 32 islands and is the ultimate get-away from the rest of the world. It is filled with lush mountains, crystal clear beaches.
There are plenty of water sports like snorkelling, scuba diving and enjoying the undisturbed coral reefs. You can also do some sailing or hike a 4,000-foot volcano if you wish. Most people come to just relax and enjoy the sun and the sea, but if you come during carnival you are bound to have a wild and fun time.
Is Saint Vincent and the Grenadines and Safe?
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines is a playground for the rich and famous so it has generally been a very safe place for one to visit. Petty street crime is often a problem so be aware of your valuables and your whereabouts and during carnival maybe leave your valuables back at the hotel and stick with the crowds.
Before you go!
We can’t stress enough the importance of travel insurance. Being protected on your travels gives you an irreplaceable peace of mind. Don’t learn the hard way about the importance of travel insurance. Never travel without coverage. Get a quote through our recommended insurance provider, World Nomads.