Share this publication
Atlanta Carnival – Caribbean Party in the USA
May 24th 2019
May 27th 2019
- 1 What is carnival in Atlanta?
- 2 When is Atlanta Carnival?
- 3 Where is Atlanta Carnival?
- 4 What is the history of Atlanta Carnival?
- 5 Atlanta Carnival Schedule of Events 2019
- 6 Atlanta Carnival The Parade of Bands
- 7 Atlanta Carnival Parade Route?
- 8 Atlanta Carnival Mas Bands
- 9 How much and where do I purchase tickets to Atlanta?
- 10 How to get to Atlanta?
- 11 Where to stay in Atlanta?
What is carnival in Atlanta?
Atlanta has its very own Caribbean Carnival celebration! In 2019 they will be celebrating the 32nd Annual Atlanta Caribbean Carnival and everyone is welcome to join the fun! You do not need to be Caribbean to take part!
Carnival in Atlanta is about promoting a deeper appreciation and understanding for Caribbean culture amongst the Metro Atlanta community. The Atlanta Carnival embraces multiculturalism and is about uniting people all across the city.
Atlanta Carnival celebrates Caribbean culture through music, dance, cuisines, masquerades, costumes as well as Caribbean cuisine. It is a fusion of influences from lots of different Caribbean cultures.
When is Atlanta Carnival?
The dates for the 2019 Atlanta Carnival will start on May 24th 2019 and finish on May 27th 2019. The highlight of Atlanta Carnival and busiest day is the Road March which will take place on Saturday May 25th 2019.
Where is Atlanta Carnival?
The centre of Atlanta Carnival is the Festival Village. This is set up for the duration of carnival and is a hub for lots of carnival events as well as where all the shops and food and drink vendors are. The address is:
400 Merritts Ave NE
Atlanta, GA 30308
What is the history of Atlanta Carnival?
In 1987, a group of Caribbean islanders, from different islands came together to with the goal of familiarizing the Atlanta metro community with Caribbean culture. They wanted to do this by throwing a West Indian style of carnival. The first ever Atlanta Caribbean Carnival was held in 1988 and was the first Caribbean Carnival to kick of the US Caribbean Carnival season.
This first carnival was a huge success and brought in thousands of visitors to Atlanta for the Memorial Day Weekend. The carnival continued to grow more and more popular every year and continue to increase awareness of Caribbean culture.
Atlanta Carnival Schedule of Events 2019
This year’s Atlanta Carnival promises to be more exciting than ever before!. The Festival Village and the Atlanta Carnival Parade of Bands are guaranteed to take the Atlanta Carnival to the next level.
- Saturday, April 13th2019 – The Atlanta Caribbean Carnival Band Association Press Conference, 5 – 9pm, @ 236 Forsyth Street SW Atlanta Ga 30303
- Saturday May 11th2019 – Atlanta Children’s Carnival and Pan in the Park, 12pm – 8pm @ Historic Fourth Ward Park 700 Ralph McGill Blvd NE Atlanta, 30312
- Friday, May 24th2019 – 7th Annual J’ouvert, @ 8am – 3pm (Sat Morning) Murphy Park Fairground
- Saturday, May 25th2019 – Atlanta Carnival Parade of the Bands and Festival Village, 10am – 11pm, @ Central Park@ 400 Merrits Ave NE, Atlanta, 30308
- Sunday, May 26th2019 – Atlanta Carnival Reggae vs Soca Sunday & Carnival Festival Village, 10am – 11pm, @ Central Park@ 400 Merrits Ave NE, Atlanta, 30308
- Monday, May 27th2019, Breakfast Fete, 10am -6pm @ Murphy Park Fairground, 880 Woodrow Street Atlanta, 30310
Atlanta Carnival The Parade of Bands
What is a Mas Band? Mas Bands are organisations who pay for the same costumes which are all created by the same costume designer. The costumed participants parade and dance together through the streets along with steelpan bands, soca musicians or even a DJ. This is what is known as playing mas.
The Atlanta Carnival Parade of the Bands is more than just watching a spectacular show. The Mas Bands compete against each other for the title of best band. A panel of judges sit along the parade route watching the performers and rewarding them marks on different aspects of their performance, including costume, energy, creativity, performance, etc.
Thousands come out to watch and partake in the Parade of the Bands, it is a colorful, vibrant and energetic spectacle. The masquerades are dressed in the most colorful, beautiful costumes that are adorned with feathers, jewels, headdresses and wings. The soca pumps loud and everyone dances the day away. Everyone is united and having the time of their lives.
Atlanta Carnival Parade Route?
- Parade assembles on West Peachtree St at MARTA Civic Center Station
- Left on Ivan Allen (Ivan Allen changes into Ralph McGil) to Piedmont Ave NE
- Right on Piedmont Ave NE to Baker-Highland Connector
- Left on Baker-Highland Connector to Central Park Pi
- Left on Central Park PI NE to Linden Ave
- Parade wil disband on Linden Ave into Central Park
Atlanta Carnival Mas Bands
Can I be a part of the Atlanta Carnival? Yes of course you can! The best way to enjoy Atlanta Carnival is to join in and play mas! There are several carnival bands that you can take part in and each offer their own unique Atlanta Carnival experience. All you have to do is pick a mas band, buy a costume and march with your band on the day.
The Atlanta Carnival Mas Bands are:
- We Kinda Ting: Their theme for the 2019 Atlanta Carnivalis Super Nova. To check out their costumes or register to their band you can do that here wktmas.com, or call (678) 622-4452
- Fantasy Island:Their theme for the 2019 Atlanta Carnival is Africa. Within the band there are different sections. You can either buy costumes for the Edo Tribe, Zamunda, Dora Milaje or the Maasai Tribe. To view the costumes you can do that here atlantacarnival.org
- Fun Band: They are a T-shirt band and you can view their shirts here atlantacarnival.org. You can contact them here Bandleader: Oungku, Contact: (646) 403-7384, rhnfunzonesexo.com
- Taste of Elegance: To contact this band you can do this through bandleader: Karen David at (770) 837-6375 or email@example.com.
- Mystikal: Their theme will be Legacy. You can contact them to vie their costumes through bandleader Cherie Rhymer on (407) 310-6171 or look at facebook.com.
- Panasonic Steel Band: You can contact the bandleaders Vere Henry: (865) 256-2158, Carver Joseph: (770) 262-0443 at firstname.lastname@example.org.
#AtlantaCarnival in #Atlanta 🔥 #USA is a do not miss event! Filled with of #parades, #parties, #fetes, music, rum, 🎭 sexy #costumes and #Caribbean & #HipHop music! 💃 You are guaranteed to have the time of your life! Click To Tweet
How much and where do I purchase tickets to Atlanta?
You can purchase a four days event bundle for $75 which will get you access to J’ouvert, the Festival Village, the Carnival Parade and the Breakfast Fete. Single ticket events cost $20 for J’ouvert, $28 general admission to enter the Festival Village and view the Carnival Parade on Saturday. To enter the Festival Village for Soca on Sunday it is $20, and it is $25 to attend the Breakfast Fete.
You can purchase your tickets here in eventbrite.com
How to get to Atlanta?
Whether you are coming from interstate or from overseas, it is very easy to get to Atlanta. Atlanta is home to the world’s busiest airport – Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. There are over 150 cities that have daily, non-stop flights to Atlanta.
If you are coming from interstate than driving to Atlanta is easy to. There are three major interstates that all come together in downtown Atlanta. They are the I-20, I-75 and I-85.
Where to stay in Atlanta?
In terms of proximity to the carnival we recommend staying in Downtown Atlanta. This is also convenient because it is located near the city’s biggest tourist attractions like CNN World Headquarters, Phillips Arena, the World of Coca-Cola, the Georgia Dome, Centennial Olympic Park, and America’s Mart.
The hotels in this area are a little less luxurious than the ones you will find in Midtown or Buckhead. So if you prefer five star luxury you should look in this area. That being said there is some excellent hotels in this area. There is also a lot of very affordable options of accommodation in this area too if you have a smaller budget. Of course you can always check out private rentals too.
For more information about tours, things to do, sightseeing tours, day trips and more click here.